St. Patrick's Day...Hound House Style
Happy St. Patrick's Day!! Entertaining, holidays, and Hound House go hand-in-hand so we thought we'd share how we're celebrating. Of course, at Hound House we give it a little Texas twist with our favorite green drink...the Hound House Margarita. We both have a bit of Irish in our blood, so this is always a fun holiday for us. This year, we are celebrating with friends, margaritas, and some delicious Roasted Beer and Lime Cauliflower Tacos with Cilantro Slaw. These recipes are too good not to share!
Our secret ingredient...Original Combier. Well, it's not a secret anymore. Since we're being honest..it was Bartaco's secret ingredient first. We were talking with the manager at the Westport, CT location and she shared her delicious-little-secret!
Tacos are always a good idea...
Thug Kitchen's cookbook has quickly become one of our favorites. It is full of amazing plant-based recipes! If you are looking for healthy, flavorful dishes and recipes with a sense of humor, this is the cookbook for you. Click on the photo above to check out their blog!
Roasted Beer and Lime Cauliflower Tacos With Cilantro Coleslaw
(Makes about six servings)
1 head cauliflower (about 1 pound)
3/4 cup beer
1/4 cup vegetable broth
1 tablespoon lime juice
1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce or tamari
1 1/2 tablespoons of your go-to chipotle hot sauce
1 to 2 cloves garlic, sliced
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
Pinch of salt
1 tablespoon olive oil
1⁄2 yellow onion, chopped
6 corn tortillas
1 avocado, sliced
Quick Lime and Cilantro Slaw
1⁄2 head of green cabbage
(about 1⁄2 pound)
1 small carrot
2 tablespoons lime juice
2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon olive oil
1⁄8 teaspoon salt
1⁄3 cup chopped cilantro
1 can (14.5 ounces) fire-roasted diced tomatoes
1⁄2 white onion, chopped (about 1 cup)
1⁄3 cup chopped green onions
1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro
3 serrano peppers, chopped
8 cloves roasted garlic
1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
Juice of 1⁄2 lime
Salt to taste
1. First, make the lime and cilantro slaw. Cut the cabbage into the thinnest strips you can and make sure those pieces are no longer than 2 inches. This is a great time to get good with your knife if you are looking for a silver f#cking lining in all that chopping. Chop the carrot into thin matchsticks of the same length. In a small glass, mix together the lime juice, vinegar, oil, and salt. Add the dressing right before you are going to eat and toss that $hit well. Add the cilantro and serve.
2. Next, the fire-roasted salsa. It's all pretty simple, really. Throw all that in a food processor or blender and blend it until it’s how you like it. Chunky, smooth ... your salsa = your rules.
3. Crank your oven to 400°F. Grab a rimmed baking sheet. Chop the cauliflower into small florets no bigger than a quarter. In a saucepan, warm the beer, broth, lime juice, tamari, hot sauce, and garlic over medium heat. Add the cauliflower and simmer for about
1 1/2 minutes. Drain.
4. Toss the spices, salt, and olive oil together in a large bowl. Add the cauliflower and onion and stir ’til those f#ckers are coated. Dump it on the baking sheet and bake until browned, stirring halfway, about 20 minutes.
5. To make the tacos, warm the tortillas in the oven or microwave for a hot minute and then pile them high with the cauliflower filling, slices of avocado, some of the slaw, and top with plenty of salsa.
Happy St. Patrick's Day!
An Old Irish Blessing
May love and laughter light your days,
And warm your heart and home,
May good and faithful friends be yours,
Wherever you may roam.
May peace and plenty bless your world,
With joy that long endures.
May all life’s passing seasons
Bring the best to you and yours.